home about projects services contact

Monday, April 16, 2012

April showers, bring Mimi's flowers…


We are finally getting rain here in Northern California. Although we are all yearning for the warm and sunny weather, we need the rain, and I love the Spring blooms that follow.

image

This is a shot of my backyard during an afternoon rain shower.

As the saying goes…April showers, bring May flowers! Today I want to share with you some beautiful flowers that you won’t find growing outside in the warm Spring sun…

image


These beautiful roses were not made by nature…they were handmade by my Mom, also known as Mimi. Yes, I come from a long line of incredibly artistic, and talented people! As a friend who recently met Mimi, and saw some of her creative handmade items said…”Oh now I get it, that’s why you are you!”


A couple of months ago I came across a website showing how to make these incredible roses out of plastic spoons! I immediately sent it to Mimi, as I knew this is one craft she would love! The step by step tutorial can be found on the blog Cant Stop Making Things seen here. This talented blogger and crafter has a long list of fun and clever crafts. Stop over to her site and check it out.


About a week later, Mimi brought over this box full of her latest creations, and her own version of the plastic spoon roses, set on decorative boxes…


image


They look so pretty, I just had to get a few shots to post and share here on my blog. I set up a trio of boxes with pink roses to showcase Mimi’s beautiful work…


image


image


image


Here is a close up of the rose, made entirely out of plastic spoons…


image


After heating the spoons with a candle…she hand molds them into petal shapes, then uses hot glue to create the rose shape. Mimi then attaches them to hand painted boxes that she even lines with decorative paper. Love all the detail…


image


image


image


Each box is unique, and truly one-of-a-kind! Just like my Mom!

She has been selling them to friends, and may even place them in a few local shops that sell handmade crafts and dĂ©cor. I am currently encouraging her to open an Etsy shop, to share and sell some of her beautiful hand made crafts online - ”Mimi Creates” - has a nice ring to it!


image


Where do you get your creative inspiration? Does it run in the family, like ours?


image



5 comments:

  1. I realy surprised that roes are handmade by your Mom!It's looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love these flowers! Your mom is so talented and you are so lucky to have a Mimi to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are stunning!
    My grandmother was a DIYer/crafter/illustrator and I think that part of my creativity comes from her. What a great story and simply gorgeous roses!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I can't believe she made such gorgeous roses out of plastic spoons! Fabulous :) Found you through Classy Clutter and just started following via Linky. Would love if you could stop by and follow back :) Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am always looking for some free stuffs over the internet. there are also some companies which gives free samples.
    Rose boxes

    ReplyDelete

 
01 09 10