home about projects services contact

Friday, August 3, 2012

Bedroom Stools Reveal…


I finally finished the transformation of these garage sale side tables…


image


Into beautiful new bedroom stools…


image


I first told the story of finding these rattan side tables last fall at a garage sale in this post. I knew right away that I wanted to use them as bedroom stools at the foot of my bed and was just waiting to find the right fabric.

I purchased a couple of yards of this Duralee fabric from Fabric.com


Duralee Loop De Loop Smoke
Duralee - Loop-de-loop in Smoke


Then gathered all the necessary supplies…primer, paint, plywood base, foam for cushion, lining and fabric.

First step ~ priming and painting the bases white. I used Kilz primer and Krylon Spray Paint in Bright White/Satin.


image


By the way…am I the last DIY’er to purchase one of these spray paint can triggers? They are amazing and make painting everything with spray paint so much easier.


image


After cutting the plywood to the exact size to sit on the table top, I purchased two pieces of high density foam. Be sure to cut your foam a little larger than your base…


image


I usually cover my foam with a layer of lining (this is plain white drapery lining) especially if I have a lightweight or light colored fabric…


image


Then cut out your fabric squares…


image


I was lucky that both cushions fit across the width of the fabric which helped with keeping the pattern in line.

Next, I had to figure out how to attach the covered cushions to the grid on the former table top. These are u-brackets used in plumbing to attach water lines to the wall (I think)! All I know is that they worked out perfectly…


image


image


Just three brackets for each stool…flip them over and they are done!


image


image


image


I still have a long way to go before the room is finished…but I really like the way these stools look at the foot of the bed…


image


What do you think? Next…I would like to find some new bedside tables and fabric for new window panels, and new paint for the walls, and…



18 comments:

  1. I love how they turned out! The fabric is perfect. And yes, those triggers are a life saver, especially on big projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty transformation, Laura, the fabric looks gorgeous with your bedding! I'm anxious to see the progress of your room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! And I love the fabric and how beautifully they turned out. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they turned out just lovely!! And genius idea about the brackets, I never would have thought of that. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No apparently I am the last on those triggers bc I have never even seen them! I will be finding one asap! Stools look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job, your project turned out great, I would love to sit on one of the stools.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE these! My mouth dropped when I saw the transformation! The new look is so fresh and pretty! Thanks for joining the color party!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look really nice and brighten up the bottom of your bed quite nicely - nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this transformation! You made it look so easy! And nope you're not the last one...I've seen those triggers but still haven't bought one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laura,

    These came out great! Your fabric folds are nice and neat on the corners. Great job!

    Thanks for sharing,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love bamboo furniture and you've really make them fabulous! I'm in the same boat as you with what to do next to my bedroom! You're on a roll - good luck!

    Glad to see this at our Color party.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job Laura! They look beautiful!

    -Lane

    ReplyDelete
  13. They came out great! Gotta love yard sale projects. :-) I've got a few to get on top of myself!

    Erin @ The Great Indoors

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love them! You had some serious vision to look past those tables and see stools. I love how they look at the end of your bed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous!!!! Fabric is perfect and oh my your corners fit so sweet! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous!! Love love love the fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Couldn't resist this comment...just proves that women are great engineers! You are a genius! I am going to TRY to remember this trick!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! Love all the patterns you have in this room.

    ReplyDelete

 
01 09 10