home about projects services contact

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Chalkboard Art Class…


One of my most popular blog posts is the one I wrote on Chalkboard Art back in May 2012…almost a year ago!…see it here.

With the popularity of hand lettered chalkboard art on the rise…I decided to teach a Chalkboard Art Class at our shop Hip Chick Designs.
 
 



I created 3 original sample boards for the class. I wanted to highlight some hand lettering techniques and provide a few chalk art tips.

Our shop is such a wonderful and inspiring place to create! I set up for the class in the studio in back…


image



image



First step was to paint our boards with actual chalkboard paint. I like to use the Krylon brand chalk paint, available at your local hardware stores and Sherwin Williams paint stores…



image



Chalkboard paint also comes in a spray paint version…but I like the coverage and results of the brush on type best. To read a complete tutorial on how to make a chalkboard, visit my post here.



image



After our painted boards dried, it was time to get to the fun part…the art!



image



image



Each of the ladies chose different samples and I love how unique each board turned out!
 
 
 
image



image



image
 
 
 
A fun day of creating was had by all!
 
 
 
If you live locally in the Northern California Bay Area and would like to join us for one of our awesome art classes or workshops…please send me your e-mail address and I will add you to our Hip Chick Designs newsletter mailing list! Or you can visit our site here and add your address to Stay Connected!!
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. That would be such a fun class to go to. Do you have tips you can share? The hardest part to me is needing a finer point than I seem to get from chalk. Do you have a certain brand of chalk that you prefer? I have a really cute chalkboard that I made by painting on glass...it's not the best surface and I'll probably redo it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about this some more...looks like something fun to just invite girlfriends over to do. How long did it take your chalkboards to dry? I'm thinking we could paint them and then have a snack while waiting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! Might join meanwhile, can you recommend a chalk board artist for a project in Oakland?

    ReplyDelete

 
01 09 10